A separator is a small rubber band flossed in-between the teeth to create space to place an orthodontic band around the tooth. Most people need more than one separator, usually one on each side of the mouth. They are latex-free and non-toxic.
- Please no chewy or sticky food (ex: Gum, Starburst, Skittles, fruit snacks etc.)
- Soft foods recommended if patient feels discomfort on the molars (ex: pasta, applesauce, yogurt, etc.) You may also take Ibuprofen or Tylenol if needed
- Brush and floss your teeth as usual, do not floss or pick at the separators
- Biting on the separators is normal, and it can feel “bouncy”
- If the separators come out one day before your appointment they do not need to be replaced. If they fall out sooner, please contact the office for instructions.